Friday, September 16, 2011

Spotted On The Metro: A Phillies Cap

Much to the chagrin of Red Sox fans, the youth of this world love to don the baseball caps of the New York Yankees. I blame Jay-Z, but that's a post for another time.

99% of the time, the iconic, interlocking 'N' and 'Y' are worn by individuals who have never watched a baseball game in their lives. They have no idea what a strikeout or a home run is, and would be lost if you started discussing storied names like Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Lou Gehrig, and Babe Ruth. They don't wear the New York Yankees cap to identify with the team. They wear the New York Yankees cap to identify with hip-hop culture or, sometimes, just because it's "cool".

The other day I saw a guy on the Paris metro wearing a Phillies cap. Now, I lived in Philadelphia for two years, and I was there for their 2008 World Series win. So I was intrigued, attracted by the possibility of a fellow Philadelphian or baseball fan. To the best of my knowledge, the Phillies cap has nothing to do with hip-hop culture. So I assumed the guy was a Phillies fan, or at least had some relationship with the city.

I struck up a conversation.

"Nice hat. You like the Phillies?"

"No. I'm just wearing it."

"Oh, ok." I turned back to my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment