Saturday, January 28, 2012

An Unusually High Grocery Bill

I looked at my receipt: €86.20.

A bit high for a grocery run. But I did stock back up on soap, toothpaste, olive oil, tea, and cheese, after having let my stocks slide to nothingness these past few weeks. And I also had recharged my phone for the next few weeks. Still, €86.20 was a bit high.

The groceries for the next person in line started sliding down towards my sacks. I had to go.

After the one kilometer walk back home, I looked at the receipt again. The cashier has scanned multiple items twice! It was wrong!

I stormed back to Monoprix, preparing an angry diatribe for the cashier and the manager as I went. "In civilized countries...this is unacceptable...it's bad enough I have to..." Having a decent familiarity with French service, I feared for the rest of my evening. Would I get my money back? Would I get my evening back?

I walked straight up to the cashier (well actually I missed her the first time, so I had to double back, but that's beside the point) and I thrust the receipt in her direction, saying "Bonsoir" in a remarkably amiable fashion.

"Oh," she said, "just go to the welcome desk and they'll take care of you."

So I walked up to the welcome desk with the same determination and strength of purpose. I prepared my lines again. But no, the attendant was on the phone. Ah ha! Taking long personal calls on company time! Not the first time I had seen that in France.

Oh no, it was a customer. Never mind.

I showed her the receipt and explained the problem. I was about to begin on the philosophical principle that it is unjust to pay for items you do not receive nor want. I was going to explain that even if the French aren't big fans of capitalism, it's only fair, since they've accepted the system in practice. I was going to...

"May I have your debit card sir?'

I pulled it out.

She scanned it.

A new receipt with the correct amount came out.

"There you go."

"Ok...thanks. Good evening."

No comments:

Post a Comment