Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What I Don't Miss

People often ask me what I miss most from the United States. While there are some intangibles such as optimism, volunteerism, and friendliness that are harder to find in countries like France, the truth is that the things I don't miss are more tangible and more visible.

I think one of the reasons I have ended up living in Europe is that it's easier to find good food and decent public transportation here than it is back home. Yesterday I returned from a week and a half vacation in my homeland, where I was struck by the absence of both yet once again.

Here in France there is a bakery on almost every corner; fresh bread is cheap and plentiful, even if it's not as whole grain as in Germany. Fast food has a growing market share, but even people in a hurry are likely to grab a sandwich made with all fresh ingredients from the local bakery as McDonald's. Meals are a programmed part of life, a time to savor something in good company, not a necessary time constraint to have energy to keep functioning. The word "foodie" doesn't exist in French; only in American culture do we need a word to describe someone who actually appreciates cooking and eating.

Also, I can get almost everywhere without a car. If there's no metro, there's a bus or a bicycle. It's a pleasurable experience to walk from point A to point B. One night during my vacation, I tried to walk to Walmart to pick up a few things for the next day. I ran straight into an interstate with no footbridges or other means of crossing and had to return to the hotel. In the morning my friend took us the short distance in his car.

I used to resist when foreigners mocked Americans for being fat. I said, "Look at me. I'm anything but fat. My whole family is like this. Most of my friends too." But as I look at the photos of high school friends on Facebook and as I observe my fellow Americans on trips back home, I can't help but agree with the critics: maybe America is undergoing an obesity epidemic. Based on the American culture of food and transportation, it makes perfect sense.

I love the American emphasis on practicality and convenience in so many domains of life. But when it comes to food and transport, if nothing else, I much prefer Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment