Thursday, October 20, 2011

French Among Least Friendly

People in New Zealand and Portugal are among the most social of all nationalities surveyed, with more than 75% reporting at least one social contact with friends or family per week; people in Poland, France and Hungary report the lowest levels of social interaction.

The Economist discusses a recent OECD report.

This finding doesn't surprise me: French people have their family and friends--best of luck breaking into that circle.

Most of my friends in France are of foreign extraction. We share the difficulty of integration and desire people who are generally more friendly and more fun than the average French person we encounter.

When I do manage to penetrate the favored realms of French soirées, it is often the case that I am the only foreigner there. Good for my language practice, not so much as a grade of French openness.

No comments:

Post a Comment