Thursday, October 13, 2011

Paperwork

In order to open a bank account in France, I need proof of residence in France. That is, I need a rent contract or an attestation de logement, in which someone promises that he is housing me.

In order to rent an apartment you need to write a check. To write a check you need a bank account.

In order to rent an apartment you also need proof of renter's insurance.

In order to buy renter's insurance you need to know the address of your apartment. That is, you need an apartment.

Sometimes in France it feels like all the attestations and contrats that fill our time and our folders are chickens and eggs. None of them wants to come first.

Fortunately for me, my boss offered to loan me the money and pay the check for my apartment's deposit before I opened my bank account. And fortunately for me, a friend of a coworker offered me proof of renter's insurance before I actually paid him or rented the apartment.

Now, finally, after two weeks in the country, my chickens are beginning to reproduce and my eggs are beginning to hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment