Thursday, November 3, 2011

By Bus, Metro, and Bike (But Not Car)

Every day I ride the bus, the metro and a bike in order to get to work. It takes 30 minutes and I use the same card to ride all three. Swipe in. Wait four or five minutes maximum and just ride.

I haven't owned a car for ten years, and I love it.

While I was a student I either lived on campus or right next to campus. Whenever I went to a movie or a restaurant, I hitched a ride with a friend. They were gracious enough to take me to the airport two or three times a year as well. I paid for their gas sometimes or treated them to a drink or a meal, and we called it good.

Abroad I didn't need a car either. Mass transit is good enough in most other countries, it's not really necessary to buy your own automobile. Especially here in Paris, a car is just a terrible idea.

I don't have to worry about oil leaks, an empty gas tank, a flat tire, having my door keyed or my window broken. I don't have to pay for insurance or tolls. In return I sacrifice some independence and some mobility. But in my cost-benefit ledger, it's not even close. I love seeing the diverse cross-section of society I travel with every morning. I love being able to pick up a bike anywhere in Paris and leave it anywhere else in Paris. I love not having to look for a parking place.

Why would anyone want a car?

1 comment: