Tuesday, December 6, 2011

AutoLib Debuts

There they were. What once was mesh-fenced-off roadwork was suddenly road side parking for a line of small gray electric cars. Uniformed attendants stood behind the cars. No users were in sight. I was late for work, but I hopped in the bus anyway.

While walking into the metro on the second leg of my commute, I picked up the free paper to see front page coverage of the debut of the Autolib in Paris. Politicians and business leaders have gotten together to provide yet another transportation alternative to Parisians. It works almost exactly like the Vélib bike system, to which I am subscribed. You pick up a car in one place in Paris and then drive it to another station in Paris and drop it off. No maintenance. No gas. No trouble finding parking places. Well, in theory...sometimes Vélib stations are full and you have to keep searching. I can imagine the same thing for Autolib.

When I arrived at my last stop, a man stopped me randomly and asked me, "Where is the Autolib station?" I looked around. I know the area very well. I was positive I had seen a station nearby. I thought and thought. Nothing came to me. I looked around again, trying to see if landmarks would jog my memory. Where had I seen them putting up the station? Where? No luck. I was late for work. I apologized and wished him good luck finding it.

I intend to try Autolib out. Just not this week. I have to figure a few things out before I try to drive to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment