Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Doing My Civic Duty

Yesterday I walked into the Center of Public Finances and, with a bold look of resolve, I said to the man, "I want to pay my taxes."

He replied, "Oh, you can't do that here. You have to talk to my colleague." He pointed out the window. "Cross the street, go through the mall, veer to the left, and there you will find the other Center of Public Finances."

And so I went out the door, crossed the street, went through the mall, veered to the left, entered the other Center of Public Finances, and, with a bold look of resolve, said "I want to pay my taxes."

The woman replied, "Oh, you can't do that yet."

And I said, "Oh."

"It will be at least May before we send out the paperwork for taxes." She pulled out a form. "This is the 2010 form. You fill out your marriage status, income, and housing situation. Then you send it back to us and we send you another piece of paper that tells you how much taxes you owe."

In a profound voice I replied, "Ok."

"You need to hold on to your "Declaration of Revenue" form that your company gave you. You will need it in May. Now, that's the income tax. Then in October we will send you a form telling you how much you owe for the Housing Tax."

"Ok, merci," I replied this time in an only slightly less profound voice.

Then I went to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment